Friday, September 25, 2009

Mom's Bread



Mom's Homemade Bread



My mom has been making bread since she got married. She is really good at it and I knew that I needed to learn her secrets. For Christmas this year Jarren bought me a Kiten-aid so I could make bread. I had my mom come over for a couple weeks and walk me through the process. It is not hard but it takes some getting used to. My family loves homemade bread and I now have to cook about two batches a week.

5 cups of wheat flour (I grind this at my mom's house and then keep it in my freezer until I use it)
5 cups of warm water (border line hot)
Blend for 1 minute
2 Tbls. salt
1 egg
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup sugar
Blend well
1 cup flour (I use white flour here)
Blend
2 Tbls Yeast
Blend
2 cups of white or light wheat flour
Blend
Keep adding cups of flour until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. It usually ends up being another 2 cups for me depending on how much humidity we have.
Put a little flour on the counter
Pour dough out, cover lightly with flour and break into four loaves
spray pans with pam
Let the dough rise in a warm oven for 25 minutes or until it has risen slightly above the pan.
Bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment